Oh man, you guys, I think this is my favorite book that we have read for this book club. There were just so many things to love about it: themes of inner vs outer beauty, male and female power, magical realism, beautiful prose, fabulous characters. Really, I could go on and on. Do you get the point that I loved Bone Gap?!
So here we go, diving into the November discussion. This is my second last audio discussion before the baby comes! Crazy pants. Hope you guys enjoy it. Remember to leave your comments below and check back to see what other readers thought!
- themes of external vs internal beauty
- all the men who think Roza owes them something because she is beautiful and get upset when she doesn’t want them
- Finn’s prosopagnosia and how it relates to his relationship with Petey
- Isn’t that what love is, seeing things that others can’t?
- how Sean respects her wishes and that automatically puts him on a different level than the other men she has encountered before
- all the ways in which people leave: Didi, Hugh, Petey’s dad, Roza
- Finn and Sean’s relationship
- the magical realism elements were limited but pretty seamless, except for the random horse riding through weird, magical worlds, which I thought was a bit strange
- the beautiful, beautiful prose that created such a rich and wonderful atmosphere and setting